Managing and conducting training courses for specialists from Kuwait
2017 – 2020 (ongoing) Project in Kuwait
The Fraunhofer UMSICHT is working with several partners, including the NORDUM Akademie, as a consortium manger on an Environment Public Authority (EPA) project titled "Surveying and Establishment of a Comprehensive Database for Waste Management in Kuwait (eMISKWaste) (for details, see: www.emisk.org). The goal is to establish a waste management plan for the State of Kuwait.
The project seeks to collect comprehensive data on waste management and the country’s landfills, to continue development of the geoformation database to process these data, and to create a national plan for waste management.
Detailed information can be found here: Fraunhofer UMSICHT
This project also includes examining the samples taken from waste and setting up an environmental laboratory.
The first step of analyzing waste is taking samples. The NORDUM Akademie conducted a workshop on taking samples of waste in Kuwait together with the Fraunhofer UMSICHT and the EPA.
Workshop on waste sampling: September 25-27, 2017 in Kuwait
- International, European, and German legal guidelines for waste management
- Introduction to the topic
- Sampling waste: importance, error assessment
- Household waste: collection, sorting, sampling
- Environmental toxins: POPs (persistent organic pollutants, e.g. PCBs, DDT, dioxins / furane , heavy metals, asbestos)
- Medical waste, specific aspects of disposal
- Sampling liquid waste
- Sampling sludge and dredge material
- Sampling composting / sampling from a heap (LAGA PN98, DIN 19698)
- Planning, implementation, instrumental engineering, sources of error, documentation
- Occupational health and safety
Practical training: conducing sampling on composting / sampling from a heap